Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tuesday Book Review: Left to Tell


Don't click on the picture. It doesn't do anything. I borrowed this image from Amazon.com.

Brian's mom, Pat, recommended this book to me. She is a high school teachers aid, and the class that she helps in was reading it. Ever since I was "forced" into watching "Hotel Rwanda" I have tried learning as much as I could about the Rwandan holocaust. I have was fortunate enough to hear Paul R. speak at WSU (it is his experience that was depicted in Hotel Rwanda). Fantastic!

I enjoyed this book. I would not recommend it to the faint of heart. This is a memoir. And Immaculee's story is horrible. But very inspiring to see her use her faith in God to make her strong throughout this trial. Some of the horrible things that she experienced, she was able to overcome and forgive quickly due to her relationship with the Lord. She describes many sad events surrounding the war, but she also shares wonderful blessings that she experienced and saw during the war.

If you are interested read this book, but keep in mind that it is a memoir. I found myself sobbing on a regular basis. The book is less than 300 pages but it took me over a week to finish it because I was constantly crying. Excellent book.

No comments: