Monday, June 14, 2010

Molly Monday: crafts

I saw this project a couple of weeks ago on one of my mini craft blogs and thought about doing it. Well tonight during one of our movies I made it. I bought an old picture frame from DI for $1.00. I painted it with some black acrylic paint and then taped some scrapbook paper onto the frame backing. I wrote Project Board and drew some lines. Then I embellished it with some stickers I had floating around. Then I wrote on the board with dry erase markers. These markers will make it so that I can reuse this board many times.


Last February, Suzie mentioned to me that my Uncle Danny's wife likes Strawberry Shortcake and really admired some of the lap quilts that did for everyone for Christmas. Well, I finally found some cute (and inexpensive) material online and made her a quick lap quilt. SHHH don't tell anyone, but it will be her surprise Christmas present.


My house is in need of some 4th of July decorations. The only problem is that most of the decorations are hideous, cheap looking and down right disrespectful. I was raised to solemnly respect the flag. The idea of hanging a flag on the wall for decoration scares me and saddens me. Mostly because, the general public doesn't respect the flag that they hang on the wall. So I have been looking for years. I saw some fake flowers on sale at the Wally mart and decided to give this a try. The basket was from Aidan's Easter basket. Nothing better than getting multiple uses out of stuff. :) The red and blue flowers came in a buddle for the discounted price of $3.00 each. The white ones were not discounted but cost $3.00. I cut the flowers down and rearranged them and there ya go, something for decoration.


I saw these on a website this week. They are called "I-spy bags." You make a little bean bag thing, make a window out of vinyl (Hobby Lobby a quarter yard was .50) and fill it with small pellets or rice and little trinkets.



Then on the back I just made a small card, listing everything in each bag. Aidan has had fun with these bags during the week, so at church on Sunday he will have a blast. Some of them look funny because vinyl is really hard to sew with a sewing machine. It likes to get stuck underneath the pressure foot.


I was able to finish another secret quilt this week. Remember the lovely purple patches I showed you last week? Well this week I decided to get clever and try and do some of that (I think its called) free motion quilting. Basically, instead of tying a quilt you sewing designs into the back of them. I finally felt good about this attempt. I think I am using the wrong needle attachment on my machine. More internet research to find out for sure. Can you see the heart?

In the middle of that purple quilt I decided to make a double heart. This one was a little easier to do because I used A LOT of pins to help me guide my needle. Kind of defeats the purpose for free motion quilting but until I feel comfortable with this technique I will be doing it incorrectly.

Hope you had a fun week. Love ya!

1 comment:

Steven and Megan said...

Great job on all your projects! I especially like those "I spy bags" I might have to make one :) Oh and I love the pics of your new couch too!