Thursday, March 19, 2009

St. Patrick's Day 09

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I planned a super fun day to help us enjoy and learn more about St. Patrick's Day.

Prior to dinner we played outside. I love that the weather is clearing up and is very pleasant and generally delightful. Here is Aidan and Suzie playing with the newly found fence. Did you know if you whack the fence with a toy it makes a way cool noise? Aidan figured it out.






This is what my table looked like. I am no Sandra Lee but I am trying. The Shamrock box is full of green mints...a little take home gift for my guests. I thought the boxes were so cute that in all reality buying the little boxes made me want to have such a party.

I had planned to make green eggs and waffles and sugar cookies and jello. I invited Bob and Virgie and Suzie (obviously) and us. But the morning of the 17th I decided that I didn't want waffles, especially not green waffles. So I was wondering around trying to think of something Irish to make when I turned on the food network. I scrolled through the showings trying to get some kind of inspiration. There was none. Then I started watching Paula Deen. She was doing nothing Irish or St. Patrick's day inspired. LAME! Then it dawned on me...the silliness, the joke, the pun. She was making her favorite potluck dishes. LOL! Seriously that was hilarious. I laughed at myself for a good five minutes. Called Brian to get permission...he said yes. Of course he did. I called Virgie and asked her to bring drinks. Suzie to bring rolls and Brian to pick up dinner....KFC. Yummy!


After dinner we played a couple of games. An Irish trivia game....hey I learned a lot. And then I did a small treasure hunt. I found some small plastic coins and paper money at Dollar Tree. I put that in our pot and bought some Star Burst jelly beans....the rainbow....get it. After the treasure hunt Suzie and Aidan found the treasure. I didn't take any pictures but she did. She will have to post them later. I had fun. Brian said that this activity would have been a lot more fun in four years when Aidan understands everything. Well, I agree, but I wanted this to be a tradition. And so it begins..... Happy St. Patrick's Day!

5 comments:

Dustin and Kellie said...

What a fun idea! What a great mom! That is fabulous that you did that. I made the kids (day care included) Green eggs and green pancakes. Ethan was kinda weirded out by the green! (Dustin too I think! He politely declined to join in! But that was one of my best memories of 3rd grade Oh well.) Way to go you! So fun!

Dustin and Kellie said...

Side thought.. How cold was grandma! She looks all bundled up, but I'd bet she was still freezing! Poor thing! If she can wear a sweater in the dead of summer and have the A/C set at 75/80 then she must've been cold! The things we do to have a blast! SO fun!

Micah Kormylo said...

How fun! You are such a good Mom... next year I'd like to be invited :)

PS.
My Mom, the boys and I will be coming up Mon April 13th and staying until that Thursday. My concert is Tuesday, but the rest of the time we are there we are free. We'd love to get together at the park, zoo where ever. Can't wait to play!

Suziepackham said...

You make everything so fun..... I'm so lucky..... I had tons of fun.....

Erin said...

What a great idea! How fun! I need to do better next year:) My family always had a traditional Irish meal of corned beef and cabbage. I love it. Unfortunatly Jason doesn't so I have gone without for a few years. I may just start making it and he can find his own dinner:)