Friday, May 14, 2010

This week at a glance

I am exhausted. Thoroughly exhausted. I had the opportunity to work four out of five days. I just barely got off for the day. I am out of practice with this job stuff. I think to add to being out of practice, my substituting for a day care teacher (she teaches the 2-4 year old class) didn't help matters. Kids are exhausting. I love children but there are very specific personality types that can do this kind of work; I don't think that I am that person.

For one thing the children are learning everything. To toilet train, to listen to instructions, to ignore, to defy, to question, to repeat new words, learn new words, their climbing abilities, their need for independence, their need to be "big" but still cuddled and loved after an "owie," etc. etc. Here is the kicker that is what I noticed about Aidan and then multiply that by 15!

I am sad to say that I think my time in this class would have been better if Aidan wasn't with me or if we had more time to be in that class together. I feel that the latter would have been the best option. I felt that all week I was yelling at Aidan. "Aidan don't hit", "Aidan no spitting", "Aidan feet are not for kicking", "Aidan share", "that's not your toy! Stop it", etc. etc. In addition to all of this Aidan is the biggest 2 year old in this class. He is the biggest out of the 3 year old group and only one other child is bigger than him and rarely is in that class (he gets bumped to the 4-5 year old class). Aidan is a complete bully. He hurt the other kids nearly everyday. It was exhausting. I keep telling myself that we go to the day care for two reasons; one, extra spending money and two so that Aidan can learn how to interact with other kids. I am still optimistic that all this will change once he gets out of the terrible two stage.

One occasion I would need to go and help in the adjacent infant/toddler room. This was usually for no more than 20 minutes. Aidan would freak out if I left. He would freak out when he saw me holding other babies. He stresses me out. My hope is that when we finally decide to have another child, he would mellow out in the ten months of pregnancy.

That being said last night Aidan asked to sleep with his baby doll. I gave him his doll and he asked me "mommy where you baby?" To this I replied "He grew up big and tall. He isn't a baby any more." Aidan then looked at his baby and said "Okay, daddy buy baby" and gave me a kiss. Funny stuff huh!

So now that I have given you a run down of this week I have decided to lay on the couch and read a book for a while, some mommy down time. Aidan fell asleep in the car and is up cuddling with Brian, so I have time to relax.

Also because I am working lots I am excited to say that Brian and I have decided to go on a fun filled weekend to Las Vegas at the end of September. We wanted to go to the truck races and eat at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill, so now we are going to do it. And my mommy and daddy are coming with us. The fun part about this weekend is that Aidan is going to experience his first truck race and we plan to stay the night at the Sahara Hotel on the Strip so for the first time, I will actually "experience" Vegas, and not some quick day trip for Cheesecake Factory and shopping. So excited!

1 comment:

Steven and Megan said...

I have always thought about what it would be like to have your job but now... I dunno so much haha! It would be fun/tough to watch that many kids! And how fun that you get to go to Vegas!