Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Movie Review: Memento

This movie came out while I was in Chile. When I returned it was the talk of the Oscar scene. I have always been curious about the movie, but something about it didn't make me want to rush out and see it.

Brian and I have streaming Netflix via his XBOX 360, so when we saw it on there and Aidan was asleep we decided to go ahead and watch it. Weird! Weird! Weird! For the greater part of my "readers" I would don't see this movie.

The movie is about a man whose wife was murdered and he is on a vendetta to kill the man who killed his wife. This story has been told many many times, but the difference is that this man has recently had a head trauma so he doesn't have a short term memory. The reason why this movie was the talk of the Oscars, I believe, was that the story isn't told in a start to finish kind of manner. It is upside down, backward, and all out of order. Your job is to keep up with the story line as it is told from the end backward to the beginning.

When I worked at the movie theater I watched everything and movies didn't bother me. I became VERY desensitized. Since I have quit I don't watch many hard core movies anymore, it is very hard to with a two year old. I have been away from the theater for 18 months and I can say that I can no longer watch movies just to watch them. Most movies don't even look good to me anymore. I can say that I have been ?sanitized? again.

This movie had no nudity, no violent scenes, little swearing but images were abundant. The main character (because he has a short term memory) tattoos information to his body and talks Polaroids of EVERYTHING. This movie is R-rated for theme.

I don't recommend this movie to everyone. I know of some people that would appreciate different aspects of the movie, but most wouldn't enjoy it. I sure didn't. However, that being said I am glad that I watched it and learned from this experience. Maybe there was a reason why hadn't "made" time to watch it before.

1 comment:

Debbie Burns said...

Great review! I probably won't see it, but at least I know more about it. I like the concept. Pretty cool.