Friday, January 16, 2009

Is anxiety contagious or hereditary?

I did not move much growing up. I can remember doing it twice. Then I went on a mission and well...you move so much you just don't unpack your suitcase. I never utilized what few closets and dressers we were given. What was the point? So packing and moving and the whole transition thing became very easy for me. When I returned from my mission I never really let myself get too comfortable in any one spot because I was single and free. At any given time I could leave and start anew if I wanted. I lived with very little furnishings and very little everything. I could be a minimalist. I went nearly a year without sleeping on a bed! Why buy something big enough to fit into my small rented rooms when I was going to need a descent piece of furniture soon enough? Only recently have I allowed myself to expand my minimalist tendencies. I married a wonderful man that has a lot of stuff! While Brian was growing up they moved something like 18 times. The longest his family has lived in one place is five years and it is there current house. That being said he has a lot of stuff but he is able to pack quickly, not necessarily in the most organized and efficient manner, but it works for him so...so be it. We have been taking our time packing a little here and there and we have been taking loads over to Aunt Suzie's house. We have bought a piece of carpet to put down on the ground of our living space. Harrison and Jordan are on there way up here to help. Thank you! Matt and Courtney have also been big helps. So I should not feel anxious. Everything is really coming together wonderfully. The theater and Stephanie and Grandma Wilson have given us lots of boxes and they are greatly appreciated. Why this feeling? It feels so right and then my heart starts to panic. During every major change or stressful event my body and mind wants to just shut down and sleep. Crazy huh! I remember I almost slept through high school graduation. I just sat down and began to dream the most realistic dream ever, with a few embellishments. Those embellishments would wake me up. I am struggling to fight back the headaches and dreariness. The headaches only come around when I start to think of the move. Odd I am....

Well the last week Aidan has been acting strange. I thought I was because he just needing more sleep so I resolved to reinstate a bedtime and let him cry it out. It has gone relatively smooth. Aidan cries a bit and then he sleeps for 14 hours and then plays for two hours and then naps for 3 hours and then falls asleep somewhere about 7-9PM. I was thinking that this is fabulous. Then I had this morning. Aidan and I went out into our more than dismantled living room and I tried to put on Blue's Clues so I could get a couple more boxes packed. Aidan freaked out. Screaming. Lashing out. Hitting me. Wanting me to hold him. Pushing me away all at the same time. I tried to give him a bath....he absolute most favorite thing to do...he usually gets two a day he loves them so much. Oh no he just freaked out. Aidan has never had such a melt down. I finally got him out of the tub and into the crib...a mandatory nap. He instantly closed his eyes super tight like he wanted everything to disappear.

I retreated to the bedroom to contemplate the situation. I truly believe that even though I am okay with the move and feel good about it, my anxiety must have radiated more than I thought it was. Aidan is showing just how much like me he is everyday. He just slept for 15 hours straight. Is it possible that he needed more sleep, sure he's a growing boy. But I just want to close my eyes and make the chaos calm and normal too. If I could disappear into a slumber I would. He is also perfectly fine at Grandma's house. We need to finish this move as soon as possible. Two days may be too long. I want to finish for the well being of Aidan sanity. I am so happy that Jordan is coming up to entertain him. That will help so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it seems that Aidan might be a little confused about the move. Everything he knows is really changing.I can't blame him though, I seem to have a hard time moving as well. Don't worry about him though. He will be fine. He just needs more attention. Kids are so funny that way. :)

Anonymous said...

Moving is never fun, hopefully things will smooth out soon!