Monday, January 12, 2009

First night....success

Last night I fought the urge to spoil Aidan and let him stay up past his bedtime and sleep with us. It was a very weird night. After 75 minutes of screaming (what a persistent little one!) he finally gave up. It was the longest 75 minutes of my life. I thought Brian was going to cave a couple of times but we didn't and he fell asleep, finally. He woke up twice in the middle of the night 1230 and 2AM. Brian and I both woke up and talked to each other, but we didn't do it. We didn't go back in there. I was concerned that he would get hungry but Brian told me that no child has starved to death from not eating every six hours. He would survive until the morning. Well Aidan did. And when I went to wake him up at 9AM Aidan was oh so pleasant. He had even found the bottle that I had given him when he laid down. Aidan was fine and he survived his first night. I just hope that I can make him do it every night. Brian and I are having a hard time about consistently obeying the child's bedtime. So easy to ignore when you are having fun at someone's house.

Thanks for the support Cami. Brian and I read your comments every time we wanted to go and rescue our abandoned child.

2 comments:

Cami said...

Congrats! And good job being consistent, Dave was always the one wanting to rescue him too.

Dustin and Kellie said...

Give it a few more nights and he'll stop crying and know that your not coming. A lady I worked with told me that children in that situation are like gambling addicts. They play and play, then, when they win one (thats you going in there) they think the next time they're gonna win again. They may end up losing, but in the back of their minds they are remembering that time they won. Interesting analogy, but that sure kept me out of Marens room.