Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday Book Review: Drenched in Light


A couple of weeks ago I was in one of those moods. I didn't want to get out of bed, didn't want to do much of anything. I needed to wallow in my blah-ness. I looked around and realized my stash of books was eliminated. I had read through all the books. With the day being a Sunday, it put a damper on the idea of running to the library and grabbing some books. I told Brian about my plight and nearly picked up one of his bizarre sci-fi novels. Then he went out to the car to look for something and found three books in the trunk. I had seen these books before (someone gave them to Aunt Suzie who tried to give them to my mom but didn't want them) so I was confused as to how they found there way into my trunk. Still am confused actually. One of the books was "Drenched in Light" by Lisa Wingate. I had never heard of her, but was desperate for reading material and thought I would give it a try. I finished her book in about four hours.

The main character, whose name eludes me now, is a recent hire as a guidance counselor at a high school for those gifted in the arts. She was only recently hired because her original career path was that of prima ballerina but that came crashing down when her eating disorder nearly killed her. She begins to think that one of her ways to heal herself is to go back to where it all started, high school. Since she can't truly go back in time she takes this counselor position at her old high school. All of the staff give her crap for once being important and now being a failure, or so she feels. The story takes place as she is trying to overcome her own insecurities, continue on in her recovery, coming to gripes with her demons, and learning that even though her previously thought life path was taken from her, maybe she wasn't supposed to go that way. She soon finds herself in the midst of helping a young gifted yet academically and love challenge young girl Dell. Dell has had a truly rough life and with her help our main character begins to truly heal and understand a greater call in her life.

Really good book. I did cry some, but some words left an impression on my already very impressionable heart. I suggest picking this one up.

No comments: