Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tuesday Book Review: Fablehaven

I should have read this books long ago but didn't. Brandon Mull has a sister named Summer, who was and is a mission buddy of mine. This weird connection should have prompted me to read it much sooner, especially because once some people find out that the degrees of separation between Brandon and myself are very small, can't believe I hadn't read it. But thanks to my friends, the McFadden's I was able to borrow them and read them.

Fantasy isn't my favorite to read. I have a hard time grasping the worlds of make believe. However, I was very impressed by the world that Brandon Mull created. It isn't too hard for me to understand or fathom.

The book follows Kendra and her brother Seth. Both unexpectedly have to go and stay with their grandparents while their parents go on a vacation. Grandma and Grandpa aren't too happy about babysitting. But we later find out that this is because they are the caretakers of a property known as Fablehaven. Fablehaven is an exotic, magical and rare creature preserve. And it is super secretive. Aside from being secretive, the time that Kendra and Seth decide to stay with them is during the crazy most magical time of the year. Kendra and Seth learn a lot about themselves and their Grandparents. Sometimes just because you think you know someone, you don't. Kendra is your typical boring, studious, obedient child whereas, Seth is adventurous, implusive and careless. What a great combination!

I loved this book, I really did. I read it in a day.

No comments: