Monday, August 9, 2010

Molly Monday: Kitchen Hints I just learned

How many of you know what brown sugar actually is? Is it a product from a brown sugar cane plant. No. Did you know that you can make your own brown sugar at home and it is apparently better tasting? I didn't! Next time we go to the grocery store I am going to pick the ingredients to try this. Are you ready for the list? You will need granulated sugar and molasses. That's it. For every 1 cup of white sugar you need 1 TBSP of molasses. Mix together thoroughly with a fork and use like normal. Can you imagine? I can't tell you how many batches of cookies had to be delayed because my brown sugar supply was depleted or hard as a rock. Now in a bind, molasses in food storage, I can always make special treats.

Did you also know that if your brown sugar is hard as a rock you can microwave it for a little bit and it will soften? Also put a piece of white bread in your bag of brown sugar and it will keep it soft and packable.

I think everyone knew this but me...if you put a bay leaf in with your dry storage it will keep weevils out. Pretty cool if you ask me. However, I can truthfully say that we don't keep many dry goods in the house very long. I use them very quickly. I just used up a 25 pound bag of flour in two and half months. I make a lot of homemade pizza for my boys. Thankfully I have been able to find a bunch of different recipes so it isn't always cheese and pepperoni. :)

1 comment:

Debbie Burns said...

Would you mind sharing your pizza recipes sometime? I'm trying to be more domestic but I can use all the help I can get! Just ask Joe, hehehe!