Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Washington DC trip Day 6

Today was another amazing day in the District of Columbia. We woke up WAY early so that we could experience the DC traffic on the metro and make our way over to the White House tour. Brian's family had reservations for 830 AM and we had reservations for 930 AM. So they headed toward the White House and we headed to the Washington Monument to see if we could get some tickets to the top. Side note...we also had tickets to tour the Library of Congress at 830 AM and decided to cancel those and do the White House. When the greater Larson clan got through the security check the security guard let them know that they were not scheduled to go on a tour today...it was scheduled for tomorrow. So Brian and I left the line at the Washington Monument before we could get tickets to high tail it over to the Library of Congress to see if we could still get our tour. Thank goodness for the metro and wonderful citizens of the DC area that are always willing to give directions and suggestions. We met at the Library with just enough time to say our names, get our headsets and enter the tour. *breath* And that was how we started the day. The Library of Congress was super fun. This was one of the tour Jeff was super excited to go on; so we were delighted when we found out that we would be able to go. Aidan was a little trooper until that moment in a child's eyes that say...okay mom...enough with the good boy routine...I have to wiggle. So he wiggled around a bit and enjoyed the marble floors and all the intrict designs on them. He even befriended a very nice Capitol Police Officer that was nice enough to find Aidan his very own patch for the Capitol Police Department. Aidan kept looking at it on his uniform and saying Wazzz that. So the officer decided to get him his own. How nice was that! Aidan enjoyed still enjoys that patch. Then he got ornery so I gave him a Red Vine...hey it makes me happy. And it made him happy...red all over his face.

Then we decided to go and eat lunch on the Capitol grounds. The weather wasn't nearly as hot as yesterday but hot enough to be exhausting. Pat made a friend...we learned today that potatoe chips are loved by one and all. Then Lorraine and Brian and Aidan fell asleep on the grass, Pat and Jeff wanted to sit and enjoy the afternoon, and Ann and I headed over so that she could see the inside of the Supreme Court building. We then headed over to the Hart Building, this is where Senator Hatches office is, we just wanted to find it in advance. Upon meeting up with everyone else I concluded that Aidan was ornery and needed to not be confined to a stroller, Lorraine wasn't feeling well and needed to sleep, so the three of us headed back to the hotel room for some showers, Sesame Street and Super Why on PBS and a nap. Aidan was so much happier after all of this. During our stay at the hotel Ann, Brian, Pat and Jeff went and looked through the Natural History musuem for a bit, looked through the gift shops again and took the tour of the US Capitol building. When their tour was over, Lorraine, Aidan and I met them at the food court at Union Station. We ate dinner at Johnny Rockets....a decent hamburger joint with a 1950s style to it. Then we shopped around a bit at the shops and headed home via metro. I love the metro. Once we got home we got on our swim suits and headed to the pool. Who doesn't love swimming after a long hot humid vacation day? After swimming it was time for showers and relaxing time. We watched a little television and that was when I realized it....

Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr., Jeff Gordan and many, many other awesome NASCAR drivers are supposed to be meeting with President Obama tomorrow at the White House....I have tickets to tour the White House tomorrow....I MUST MEET WITH THE NASCAR BOYS! I WILL SEE THEM AND I WILL ENJOY IT....AND SO WILL THEY!!! I so hope our paths cross tomorrow....until then!




Rosslyn metro station....the scary moving staircase..it is literally like a 100 degree angle and it goes so slow and on forever...talk about some vertigo!
Remember me talk about the the Church of Chevron...This is a Methodist Church with a Chevron gas station on the ground floor...I am sure this is common in the world of skyscrapers and such but for me....odd.
Aidan dancing and spinning around on the floor at the Library of Congress.
Pat and her squirrel friend eating a chip right out of her hand.
The squirrel hanging tight while Pat opened some more chips to share.
My little clown boy...Red Vines all over his face...he enjoyed it so much he fell asleep in mid-vine.
Johnny Rockets for dinner...decent food...expensive price. Be careful.

Good night ya'll.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Awesome! I am super jealous! But oh so very happy for the Larson family! I will be crossing my fingers that you meet the NASCAR boys at the White House. I hope you get too! I am so happy that you are having an amazing vacation! You deserve it.

Steven and Megan said...

I am glad you guys are having a great time!! I've been reading all your posts and it makes me want to experience DC. Love the picture of Aidan asleep with red vines all over his face

Suziepackham said...

Wow! you've been so busy. Such a wonderful vacation. I think next time I go you'll have to go with me, you'll make an excellent tour guide. Did you get autographs? oh BTW: I picked the squash, took one and left the rest on the porch with a note to the Gee's to put them in the fridge. Love you. See you Sunday. What's your airline and flight #?