Monday, August 17, 2009

Washington DC trip Day 5

Sorry everyone...no pictures tonight. I am exhausted and don't want to find my camera. Today was pretty mellow considering how busy our week has been. I keep telling myself not to worry about schedules and agendas. I have visited DC twice before...once with Jodi and Maren and Cedric. The second time with Stephanie. Both times I was only able to come back for about 5 days. Those were busy busy trips. This trip is busy and we are only half way. Crazy to think about it like that.

This morning my body ached. I slept like a rock and that aided in my hurt body. When I stood up (and all the following steps) I creaked and cracked. Everyone bone in my body was arguing with my decision to start moving. I am getting too old for this kind of trip...but it is so worth it! After sleeping in and finally leaving the hotel room around 11 AM we hurried to the metro to go into the big city. Today was our monument/ memorial tour. We arrived at Union Station to buy our tickets for the tourmobile. $27 a person! But so worth it...less walking and more memorials. All tours must end by 4 PM so we had to hurry! We left Union Station around 1145 AM and started our tour at the Washington Monument. We were unable to get tickets to go to the top (we were really late in the day) so we headed West towards the WWII memorial. We walked around the grounds and enjoyed the area... and the heat...so hot. We took pictures of Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, the Reflecting Pond, walked past John Paul Jones, Korean War Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial. We then bought some cold drinks and ate lunch around the grounds of the Lincoln Memorial. Then we caught the bus going to the Arlington Cemetary. We briefly saw the Eternal flame of JFK and families gravesite and the wooden cross of RFK. Then we jumped on another bus and went up to the Tomb of the Unknowns. I wanted to see again and nearly begged to go up and see the changing of the guard. What a wonderful and special event. Everyone else really enjoyed seeing it and I am glad. One of the soldiers was a woman, she was guarding the tomb. I didn't think nor realize the impact of seeing this would have on me. I got all choked up (though no tears fell). I feel so strongly that those in and around the Cemetary are so important not only to history but to me and my freedoms. Thank you to all for your sacrifice.

Then we over to the Lee Plantation house. We were unable to get off of the tourmobile as it was 4 PM. So we continued on into the city, back over to see the Vietnam Memorial. What a wonderful experience that was! I have heard stories of the feeling you get when you find a name on the wall and how spiritual it is...we were able to find Robert Allan Rex's name on the wall. For those of you not in the know my grandfather Bob, served with him in Thailand during the war. His jet was shot down and he was MIA for many years. Jeff, Brian's father is from Randolph (Robert Rex's hometown) so he too has a connection with this young soldier who died for his country. We got pictures of his name on the wall. We even took a picture of the large books indicating who, where and how to find soldiers on the wall.

From here we went and found a wonderful tourmobile guide that insisted that if we had our tickets his bus would still take us to our destinations (current time nearly 5PM). Thanks to Benjamin for being so darn sweet! (He was the guide) We then caught the metro back to the hotel so that some could use the facilities, shower and get the van keys so that we could find some nourishment. We drove into Alexandria and found an IHOP. Such hearty food was welcome in our stomachs! Then we found a Target and purchased some more needed items for our stay here in DC i.e. diapers, Gatorade, and stuff for lunches. Now I am back in the room and blogging away when I should be in bed for our 530 AM EST wake up call.

So good night all.

1 comment:

Suziepackham said...

oh wow Kate..... so heart warming. There is a reverence when you visit the memorials, just reading what you wrote brought back my feelings of being there. Thank you. you guys take care of yourselves. Have fun!