Thursday, August 6, 2009

I do not like Fried Brian!

Central Air...a must have during the hot months of summer.
Scary breaker box....

This is our quick fix so that we could still enjoy the refridgerator.

We always knew that there were adventures when purchasing a house. But this one takes the cake. One hot night my dad decided to warm himself up some of his goolash. He puts dinner in the microwave and BAM or POP....a breaker blew. No big deal right. Wrong! We could figure out how to switch it back on. What we did know was that this breaker box was different from the ones that the rest of us had played with. So Brian investigated. And guess what....we were surprised we hadn't had more problems. Apparently the central air, washer, refridgerator and the microwave were all connected to the same box. So on that hot and sultry night when the central air was on high, the washer was doing its thing as with the refridgerator...the house had enough. Once the microwave was activated the house shut down. Brian was nervous to go exploring into a power box...I was too! I REALLY DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF FRIED BRIAN....OR EVEN EXTRA CRISPY BRIAN! So we said whatever...we can make this work. We moved the microwave, we used an extension cord to keep the refridgerator working (one must have cold water and coke during the summer). We forfieted the convience of washing machine and central air. Brian went to work the next day and did what he does best...problem solved our way out of danger. He read on the internet, checked out some books from the library and came home from work that night with a plan. Fix it for free (no electrician required) and without becoming Fried Brian. I said I didn't like this idea. I later went to the restroom and Brian found his chance. While nature was calling he reached in the box pulled on some wires and pulled out the bad fuse. When I finished, he was waiting for me in the kitchen with the problem in his hand and ready to go and find a replacement. To quickly end this story, he fixed the problem...for about $5.00.

Even though I still stand by the thought...I do not like Fried Brian...I am grateful for his many talents. He is amazing.

2 comments:

Jonny said...

As long as he wasn't standing in a puddle of water wearing a tin foil pirate hat, he'll be fine. No worries - It is just a little tickle. Happy to hear it was only a fuse and not a problem with one of the appliances.

Debbie Burns said...

That is awesome! Way to go Brian! I wish I were that brave. I usually end up calling a professional because I'm just too scared to try.