Monday, July 12, 2010

Molly Monday: More quilts

Because this last week was so busy and because we are essentially broke due to our trip to St. George I have had limited time and resources when it comes to quilting. These quilts have been made using scraps and irregular remnants that I have picked up along the way. Only one of these quilts is completed, the others are just tops waiting to be filled with batting and secured to a back piece. Hopefully soon I can finish these quilts. Keep your knowledge of these quilts on the quiet side, they are all Christmas presents, though, luckily the recipients are not followers of the blog. Score! :)


A levi quilt top. This is HUGE!! Its measurements are 90 inches long and 85 inches wide. I did this on purpose because the person(s) receiving this as a gift have a California King Bed. It is so big that you aren't seeing the whole width or length of the quilt. Brian's reach or height is not as great as the quilt. The other snag I am running into is finding backing for this top. A California King flat sheet, by itself, is about $20! Hopefully by Christmas it will have a back. If you have access to an older but in good condition California King flat sheet I would love any kind of donation. Keep in mind that the color should be pretty neutral and complementary. Nothing to manly and nothing to girly. Thanks for your help.

I had a bunch of pastel scraps that were calling me. I didn't have many so this is going to just be a baby quilt but I am okay with that. Such pretty colors. Still needs to be finished.


I am such a nerd. The other day I was organizing my fabric and realized I have lots of basic colors. I love that I buy solid colors that are bright and brilliant. So with that phrase in my head I decide to do a crayon quilt. I went online to see if anyone had a free pattern to my concept and no one did. So I took a couple of days and drew out a design. During the course of this quilt I learned about measurements and how to take in stitches after the top was finished. I am please with the way it turned out but I think I will now hand stitch some embellishments on it. I am thinking of stitching in the lines at the bottom and the top of the crayon, they will be black. Go look at your crayon box and you will understand. I may even get bold and hand stitch the name of the colors on it. We will see.

I am a novice quilter and yet I find myself comparing quilts everywhere I go. Walking through the park to go to the parade was a bad thing for me. I would look at everyone's quilt and make mental notes of the difficulty levels and whether or not I was prepared for such ambitious undertakings. One quilt I saw was a beautiful rainbow. It looked similar to above. The difference was the the middle squares were red and they moved outward becoming pink. These were scraps I had and decided to let ROY G BIV become my inspiration. For those of you that don' t know that is a trick I learned in 8th grade to remember the colors of the rainbow, in order. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. I also added four pink squares to the middle because I had them. This quilt is also waiting to be finished. On this quilt I learned the importance of making sure that you have the same kind of fabric when quilting. Some is calico and other are a flannel type. Notice the bottom right side? All squares were cut exactly but because flannel stretches differently then calico I got some inconsistencies. Oh well. It makes for a good conversation piece, right?

No comments: