Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Movie Review: Extraordinary Measures

I wanted to see this movie in the theater but never made it. Thank goodness for Red Box. I wanted to see because these two actors I consider entertaining. Harrison Ford is getting old, but as long as he isn't trying to play a heartthrob I like him. I think his heartthrob years are over. And then there is Brendan Fraser. I think he was better in his younger years (School Ties, With Honors, Encino Man) but every time I look at him I can't help but imagine him in a loin cloth running head on into a tree. George of the Jungle was just a silly fun movie.

This movie is about a pharmacuteical company marketing guy who has a family. A wife and three kids, two of which are inflicted with a genetic disease called Pompe. Pompe is a form of muscular dystrophy. He works hard during the day as a rep and then goes home and tries to make the best of his situation. The life expectancy for his children with Pompe is 9 years old. One child is almost 9, the other is almost 8. He tries to figure out answers in his spare time and then he reads an article by Dr. Eric Stonehill. He is the leading researcher on theoretical cures. His theory on how to fix Pompe is promising but there is no funding.

Brendan Fraser works hard to fight all the red tape and barriers to help his kids. He is literally racing the clock to find a cure.

Fraser does a good job of playing a torn father trying to beat the clock and Ford does well playing a spacy, cantankerous doctor.

Go see it if you have the interest. I found myself crying, so be careful. :)

No comments: