Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Swimming lessons


Aidan anxiously waiting to go swimming!


Yesterday was Aidan's first swimming lesson. I didn't take but one photo. I am a horrible person! But I am nervous to get my camera and/or phone anywhere near the water, I am more concerned about Aidan's well being than the camera.

Aidan was pretty excited. We talked about it all weekend. He is a water baby by nature so the talking wasn't to get him prepared to swim, it was to get him prepared for early mornings. LOL! I don't know if I made the right decision about these swimming lessons.

Aidan is a lover of the water. Sometimes he asks if he can take a bath just so that he can play in it. So he isn't scared of the water or ignorant of things pertaining to swimming. The class I registered him for is "designed" for 18months-3 year olds. Aidan fits nicely as a 2 year old. There are four other pupils, and Aidan, like always, is the biggest kid (there are two 18 months-ish kids and two 3 year olds). The lessons or tricks that we are learning/practicing are things like blowing bubbles in the water, getting our ears wet, learning to splash, easily get into the water, and soon we will learn how to go underwater and float on our backs. I kind of wish I knew ALL this before I registered him. Aidan does all that stuff on his own. I am frightened by water and I thought that maybe with lessons we would be able to, together, learn how to be wiser and stronger in the water. Aidan has already out done his mommy.

I will probably continue taking Aidan to swimming lessons because he at least gets to swim. I hate to say it, but Aidan already knows all of these basic techniques. They are so basic that he has been able to teach himself by age 2!

2 comments:

Steven and Megan said...

I'm glad to hear Aidan is enjoying swimming! And he is the smartest in his class!! Go Aidan :)

Debbie Burns said...

Don't forget that Aidan is a smart cookie! (Which I know you won't.) That boy is gonna be rocking his age group his whole life! But I think it's fun for the two of you to spend time together this way. Neat!