Friday, March 12, 2010

The most beautiful hands ever!


When I was younger, my sister enjoyed watching the all-time cheesiest chick flick "Beaches." Let's be honest, I loved it too. It was the perfect chick flick, laughing, crying, re-evaluating life, relationships, and hoping for the best. There was a scene in the movie that has always touched my heart. Barbara Hershey's character has recently found out that she is dying and is struggling with this. She and her young daughter are at the beach house bonding (with the help of Bette Midler), the daughter notices Barbara's hands and asks if her hands will be like that when she grows up. Barbara has no idea how to respond, because her mother died when she was young too. Barbara searches frantically for old pictures to combine hands.

When I was growing up I frequently remember going to church with my grandparents. One of the treats about "suffering" through sacrament was Grandma Virgie. She would take a hold of your hands and tickle your hand. Kellie was usually the lucky one and was able to get the best tickle, but on occasion I would get to sit by grandma and have her tickle my hand and arms. It was so wonderful and relaxing. I have searched and no one can quite tickle your hand in the delicate wonderful way that Virgie can.

I was noticing today that my hands are similar to my moms. I wish I was more like her in other ways because, lets be honest my mother is AMAZING! Aidan and I went over to Virgie's house today to visit and we began talking about hands. Virgie says her hands looked like my mom's when she was younger. She followed by saying how icky and ugly they were. My heart did a funny thing. It beamed with excitement. If my hands are like my moms, and my grandma's are like hers...then I have a strong chance of inheriting some of the most beautiful, soft, delicate and wonderful hands in the world.

I made her let me take a picture of her hands. She might hate them, but I love them. I was also able to sneak a moment and have her tickle my hand and arm. Hopefully my children will feel the same way that I do about my grandmother's beautiful hands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful. Only you would think of her hands. Only you would be in tune with wonders around you. So many times we just hurry about our daily lives and never stop to think of the things that matter. Thank you for your insight. You make me humble and want to be just like you. I love you daughter.