Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy Birthday to me...you old lady!

So I have to admit...I was kind of mopey yesterday and earlier today. Today is my birthday. The big 30. That's right I am half way dead...my life is nearly over. Crazy thought process huh! So I was not real excited for today. Yesterday was horrible. It was yesterday that I realized that Brian would be working all day long. Brian has two jobs now. He still works for SLC as a computer tech but then he decided that he "missed" working in the projection booth at the theater so he made arrangements to go back, two days a week. Thursdays and Saturdays. So you got it...he would be up at 7 AM work in SLC until 5 PM drive home and return to the other job from 6 PM to 2 AM Friday morning.

Crappy!

So as I begin my pity party yesterday I do what I usually do and blog stalk and check out my regular sites. And would you know...EVERYONE SLAPPED MY WHINEY BUTT IN THE FACE...HARD! My good friend Debbie posted a story about playing the "Glad Game" as found in Pollyanna. Its the basic idea of find something to be happy about, because there's stuff everywhere (probably not exactly what it is, but that what I got from it). I loved it. Made me take a minute to ponder my attitude. Then I got on to FaceBook and read another blog from Brian's aunt Whit...about....you got it...the GLAD GAME...same referrence and everything. Yes...I was...awake, aware whatever you want to call it. So I decided to give it a try. It was hard, because I wanted to be a brat! I wanted to be spoiled and get my way....I didn't want Brian to work! But I have since regrouped. I have decided that all this GLAD GAME talk and Pollyanna business was something I needed to pay attention to.

Today was borderline obnoxious. Around every corner there was something that wanted to make me mad, sad, pouty and even irrate. But I played the game...and today wasn't that bad. I still missed Brian. But he was able to come and play for a little bit before work. I am truly loved by many, and I appreciated all they do...even if it is just there company or knowing that today...they thought about me...even for a minute...and that helped a lot. virgie and Bob made dinner and brought it to our house. Her yummy Barbeque (which apparently is just a fancy sloppy joe...see Armga recipes for the recipe) and funeral potatoes. Suzie, Jeff, Ann and Lorraine came over for dinner as well. Then everyone sang to me. That alone was wonderful. Aidan LOVES that song. He beams when he hears it. Even if it isn't for him. I love it. For presents I got a lot! A hamburger masher (Suzie doesn't think I make ground beef correctly so she found something to help me out!), silicone heart shaped muffin shapes, three batter bowls, a dozen red roses from Brian, a bouquet from my parents, a Jimmie Johnson folding chair, a card with some money from Grandma Wilson and and fabulous dinner. And to top it all off...Ann, Jeff, and Lorraine stuck around and played some Phase 10 with me. Its funny how the little things are the best. Even though I couldn't spend the evening with my Brian (we will go out tomorrow) it all worked out nicely.

So in order to follow the game...I am grateful for all of those who took a minute to wish me a happy birthday. I am grateful for this silly game that helped make my birthday a good one. Thanks again everyone!

3 comments:

Micah Kormylo said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Debbie Burns said...

Katie, you're the best ever! I'm glad things worked out. But since you didn't have a huge celebration this year I've decided to devise an elaborate bithday plan for next year! Muhahaha. Love you and hope you are having a great day!

Jordan said...

Katie.
Since when is 30 half way to dead? Are you intending on dieing at 60? I sure hope not. Because that would leave me at 52, and we need to celebrate old age together. Duh.
Happy Birthday anyways. I love you.