Tuesday, June 23, 2009

FHE....Friends Home Evening

Growing up I don't really remember having too many family home evenings. You the kind where you all gather around the living room at seven on Monday night, read a scripture, a thought, and a lesson, followed by a baked good of some kind. I know that we had a couple just not really a habitual form of FHE. Maybe it was my dad's schedule, maybe it was not enough space, maybe I just can't remember.

One thing that Brian and I have talked about it is doing things either exactly the same as our parents or do it differently. After much talk we have decided to combine the to ideas.

Though I don't remember Monday nights specifically I do remember things like Friday night pizza and a movie night. Always cheap pizzas (either Little Caesars or frozen pizza) and go get two movies. A child friendly movie and then dad picked out an adult movie (not a naughty movie just a PG-13 or greater). It was such a treat if it was your turn to pick the movie! So in the tradition of that we have our own tradition to work on and build.

We have decided that we enjoying friends and having people around. So Monday nights will be FHE, Friends (Family) Home Evening. We will gather together and do something. Dinner, movies, games, walks in the park, visiting other family, etc. etc. As long as it is done together. At least one Monday a month we will do a religious FHE (not necessarily a lesson because there is so much to do in visiting church history and stuff).

Last night night we started this tradition. We had Megan, Steven and their kids Zoe and Lincoln come over for a stir fry/spring roll dinner and a game of phase 10. I have become addicted to phase 10...I love it! We had a blast. We were finally able to eat outside under our covered patio (a first!) and let the kids play in the yard. What a fun thing that is! They finally decided that it was time for kids to sleep about 1030. Brian and I had so much fun. Aidan enjoys playing with other kids and I am glad to help him with that. Thanks so much to the McFadden's for coming over and hanging out.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Great idea! I was just thinking about FHE and how Luke and I need to be better.

Steven and Megan said...

Thank you so much for having us over and for the amazing dinner!! We had lots of fun!

Jones said...

I hope Phase 10 is coming to the family reunion! Yeah for deciding to do FHE. I can tell which children in my Primary class have families that do FHE. It does make a huge difference beginning very early on.