Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tuesday Book Review: The Associate

When I was in junior high I started reading John Grisham novels. This helped to fuel my desire to become a lawyer. One thing that I have noticed as I read his novels, and those of you who have read his novels will understand is that he writes basically the same novels over and over again. Very little character and location creativity go into writing his books. But that being said I still find myself reading everything he has written; fiction and non-fiction alike. I got a little behind during and after my mission, but I am within two books of being able to say (while caught up 100%) that I have read EVERYTHING he has ever written.

The Associate is about a young soon to be law school grad who is top of his class but has a bit of a secret in his past. During his undergrad days, some frat brothers alledgedly raped a sorority sister. Kyle, our protaganist, was not involved in the rape but he was in the room passed out. Just prior to his Yale Law School Graduation he is approached by some bad dudes wanting him to change his plans for after school and work at the arguably largest law firm in the world, located in NYC, to be involved in one of the largest, scariest, most important and quiet lawsuits ever filed. It is between to government contractors for the rights to a super secret super awesome jet plane. The plot. These bad dudes want him to steal documents and other information. Major dilema? Kyle is a very upright kind of guy and has no desire to submit to this kind of strong arming without any kind of plan. He is also very worried about ethics and honor.

The book is a pretty easy read for Grisham. He finally is starting to realize how boring Canton and Ford County can be. He is going out of his box and expanding his horizons. Good job Grisham. If you like Grisham, check it out. The library here has lots of copies, and they are always there.

No comments: