Monday, September 6, 2010

Molly Monday: Reflections

This is going to be another one of my "journal type entries"- beware.

I recently just finished reading the Jayson Wolfe series by Anita Stansfield. I do enjoy reading a good book by a good author, but I sometimes need to pace myself. Too much fluff is irritating and too much Mormon fluff is nauseating. I don't mean any disrespect but in between all my reading of fluff, I need to pull out a good history book or text book and read.

I won't go into too much detail now about these books (there are 5 in the series) but they are coming soon on the Tuesday book review days; but I will say that one good thing about reading a good Mormon book is the not so subtle scripture references that are put inside the story, to help the characters cope with life.

One of the scriptures stood out in my mind and gave me some comfort. D & C 122:7;here the Lord talks to Joseph Smith who has been imprisoned at Liberty Jail.

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good.

For the sake of understanding none of these things have happened to me and I am aware that I am not experiencing anything even close to the persecutions that Joseph Smith had, but during recent times I have felt picked on and misunderstood. I have felt incredible sadness and that my trials have been for some reason but in the middle of the trials and persecution it has been hard to see the "light at the end of the tunnel." But as with the character in the book, this scripture touched my heart in nearly the same way that the song "Be still my soul" touched my heart. My patriarchal blessings says "Beware! Do not suppose that life will be easy. It never is. Your life will not be free of stress and pressure and work and sorrow..." It further goes on to say "Now, go forward, knowing that all will be well and that you will never be left alone and that you will have peace to your soul." I guess having the reminder that I can over come and that the Lord is with me has helped me today, feel peace.

I may not be able to control some events and situations, but I can control my reaction and how my heart feels later on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this...I may not be able to control some events and situations, but I can control my reaction and how my heart feels later on.