Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Operation SOS Ryan

Today just after 11:30 AM I got this phone call from my cousin Ryan. He has been up in Wyoming for the last couple weeks working on an oil rig in Pinedale, WY. Apparently something came up and we needed to immediately return to his home in St. George, Utah...the sooner the better. He gave us a call and I quickly spoke with Brian about it and then we made our preparations. We found babysitters for Aidan (Bob and Virgie and the Greater Larson clan) he travels well, but not that well. We did the basic road trip checklist; checked the fluids, packed a diaper bag, showered, rounded up some treats, and bought drinks. Then we dropped Aidan off at Virgie's and headed out of town.

Departure time 1:45 PM
Depart from Layton, Utah
Destination Pinedale, Wyoming

(See map...right in the middle of the page. On the red line, surrounded by red writing. Or just double click the picture)
Brian and I love to road trip and love to just go. We haven't done this much during our time as parents, Aidan loves traveling but hasn't quiet yet seen the light on the beauty of just the drive. Here is the must-have photo for the road trip. Me and Brian...while driving. :)

Just outside of Kemmerer, Wyoming we drove past Fontenelle Reservoir. You might think I am nuts, but I have never noticed the ice shelf that can and is usually created on lakes and the like. It was so cool. I know this picture doesn't do it justice but seriously...amazing!
One of my things to do during such crazy and spontaneous trips is to drive past or visit the red writing on my cheap map. The red writing indicates a special landmark or national park, etc. etc. etc. Well according to the map Kemmerer, Wyoming is the home of the first ever JCPenney store, its called the "mother store". Apparently JC Penney lived in boonyville Wyoming and opened up his first store there. So I quickly made Brian drive in a circle so I could snap this blurry photo...the things he does for me. And yes, Ryan was laughing the whole time. But he was also willing to take a picture for me if mine didn't work out. PS this store was founded in 1902, and written on the window. :)


Arrival time: 530 PM
Depart from Pinedale, Wyoming
Departure time: 600 PM
Destination Layton, Utah

The drive back was quick and furious. I am such a nerd and forgot to take a picture of Ryan. The trip was for him, about him and because of him and I spaced it! Brian and I really enjoyed our quick trip to Wyoming (I had never seen that part of Wyoming before) and were happy to be of service. Ryan is a hoot to be around. Growing up he was like my older brother, so I would do just about anything possible to help him out. Thanks for the road trip Ryan! And thanks for taking those Christmas presents down to St. George with you...

Arrival time to Layton, Utah 945 PM

We made awesome time!

1 comment:

Suziepackham said...

Katie- I love your blog..... thanks for keeping us up to date on your fun adventures and your wonderful family.