Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gingerbread houses

Last Friday we had the McFadden's come over for some yummy food and good times. I made a large pot of Chicken Curry. Yummy! I am slowly making this recipe my own. I am so excited to be able to make it a Larson Family staple, even Aidan loves it. I digress. The main event for the night wasn't the Chicken Curry, it was the gingerbread houses. Megan and I have been talking about doing this for weeks. I have never done one before, ever. I have always been nervous about them, there sticky! But through some sweet talk by Megan we agreed to purchase those pre-made gingerbread kits that you can buy at Wal-Mart and other such stores. I got one style and Megan got another. I am happier with my pre-made box because even the royal icing was pre-made, on Meg's you had to mix it up and wait a little bit so that it could come together. Well this was a project for Aidan and Zoe; they were not into it, not even a little bit. They enjoyed all the candy but not much else. Who would have thought that gingerbread houses could make people so competitive? Not me. What started as a project for the kids turned into Larson's vs. McFadden's and then Boys vs. Girls and then Nate vs. Keira Jo. So much fun it was! Next year I think it will be more fun, because now I know what to expect and can better prepare myself.

Nate and Steven working on their "Man-ger." I believe, my opinion that they modeled their idea off of what would be consider a manger and a man cave. Their house is very detailed and delightfully funny.

Keira Jo working very hard on the traditional gingerbread house. See the left side of the roof...that's what I helped with. I am so proud.
A better view of the "Man-ger." This house uniquely designed for a man. Inside this man-ger the owner has equipped the home with a large couch, a HUGE wide screen television and amazing surround sound system. The house also as room for the man's horse. And because one has made room for his horse inside the house one should share their surround sound with the horse. Notice the speakers hung on the wall for optimum pleasure. This house is also decorated outside with an amazingly placed swamp cooler and a tower of used tires. The imagination!
A better view of the traditional gingerbread home. This home is prepared for anything that winter can bring. Notice the Santa Claus catching hook on the roof. This home owner has also decorated the home and the yard with decorations. The fence around the structure has a colorful fence. The eve's around the house are decorated in beautiful red and green lights. The owner also took some time to place down some ice melt for you, on the path to the front door, dyed nicely in festive colors. They also placed a wreath on the house and a blow up Santa Claus in the front yard to show their holiday spirit.

It was fun night for all. So glad we were able to do this activity.

Now we need your help, my devoted blog readers. We are in a contest. I am taking a poll. Aside from who did which house, I would like you to vote on your favorite house and tell me why. The winner of the gingerbread house viewer opinion poll will receive your accolades and praise. You can vote in two ways. Leave a comment. Or see the poll on the top left of the Larson Blog page. Thanks!

No comments: