Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving...my first

This year was my first Thanksgiving where I was in charge of doing everything. So this year I made it a pot luck style Thanksgiving. The Larson's brought rolls, stuffing and a pumpkin pie. Virgie and Bob brought a cherry pie, green bean casserole, and some ham. Suzie brought an apple pie and her divine deviled eggs. Me, being the nerd that I am worried and thought about this day for weeks. I made up a seating chart to make sure that everyone had a seat and everyone could be comfortable. I then made up invitations that I only gave to people that already said that they were coming. Ridiculous, I know but it is how I roll.


A view of the seating chart. Everyone and everything has a place.



In the words of Sandra Lee, on the Food Network, this was my table-scape. I used butcher paper for the table cloths. I cut out pieces of felt for the place mats. I even got out the special cutlery. We got this beautiful cutlery for a wedding present and I had never used it...until today.
Virgie and I made gum drop turkey for everyone as part of their place cards. I used the tops of the orange gerber daisies as decorations on the table. I had them from our wedding and couldn't bring myself to throw them away, glad I didn't.



Brian bought me a roasting oven. I love it! I used Amy's citrus recipe for the turkey and it was delicious. I was worried about it not cooking all the way, but as you can see it was fall off the bone moist. Yum!

Me slaving away on the potatoes. I wanted to make sure that we had enough. WE HAD MORE THAN PLENTY. We are still trying to eat them all up...

Bob and Virgie enjoying dinner.

Suzie and Keira Jo.


Keira Jo and Nate trying to act normal for the picture.

Lorraine, Ann, and Jeff (Pat is behind Jeff's head) eating.


After dinner we visited for a little while and then said goodbye to everyone so that they could enjoy their Thanksgiving Day Naps, courtesy of Trytophan. Brian and I relaxed a little bit and got Aidan to nap. Then we went and met up with the Larson clan to go to the Jazz game. Ann was able to snag some free tickets, so went we and had a blast. Aidan was concerned at first but enjoyed the outing. He even got into the mood and started dancing and clapping when the music to get the crowd excited. He did a fantastic job of being good. I did have to take him out into the mezzaine area (where the concession stands are) and let him run around. We actually did two laps around the EA Center, so I am convinced that my Thanksgiving Dinner wasn't totally a bad idea (not that I diet anyway).

Me, Brian and some of Aidan at the game.

Aidan and Daddy. Go JAZZ!
The Jazz won by 20 points against the Chicago Bulls. Go team Jazz!

A special thanks to all who helped me to make this Thanksgiving awesome.

The Lincoln's for their tables, chairs, and recipe.
The Bovee's for their chairs.
The Larson's for their chairs, food and fun.
Suzie Packham for your help and awesome deviled eggs.
The Arnold's for coming and sharing your food, love and extra dishes.
Nate and Keira for helping rearrange the living room.
Matt for helping with the table-scape.
Aidan for eating the gum drop turkeys and helping me to realize that even if the cheesecake has a hand print in it...it just gives it more character.
Brian for everything you do. You are a lifesaver. We (I mainly mean you) rearranged the living room, cleaned the house, decorated for the day, cooked for 15, entertained the child, and had a wonderful disposition all day.

2 comments:

Steven and Megan said...

Your Thanksgiving meal looked awesome! Good job Katie!

Debbie Burns said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a busy and wonderful Thanksgiving! You never cease to amaze me :)