Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Can't sleep....dumping my thoughts....

Late nights and thoughts are not necessarily a good thing. My mind wanders in circles and I can never get out. So I shall enlighten all of those around me with such silliness.

My garden is so fruitful. I planted so late in the year that I decided to just plant cucumbers and zucchini. I am an absolute novice and usually have to figure things out on my own (I can't just accept advice and caution as what it is....caution). I wanted to make sure that I had zucchini this year for my holiday baking. I remember very fondly of mom making zucchini bread around Christmas time and even though she probably only did it once or twice, I feel that Christmas isn't right until I make zucchini bread. So when we bought our house I knew that I would plant something...especially zucchini. We moved in and before I even unpacked most of the boxes...I planted. I wanted to make sure that I got something so I planted four zucchini plants. I was told that the spread and are very fruitful but I wanted to just be sure. Oh My! So much zucchini! If any one wants any...please come get some!

My cucumber plants have just started bearing fruit (or vegetables). I have three that are nearly ready to be picked and ate. I have A LOT of buds and starts of cucumbers...I think I will be doing some pickling this season. I have never done any kind of pickling or canning or jarring. So if you have a good recipe or expertise in this field, please share. I don't want anything to go to waste.

Another thought floating in my head. I saw part of Julie/Julia (or vice versa) tonight...it was just an okay movie...I think it is because I walked in an hour late (originally went to see District 9 with Brian, Keira, and Nate....I hated it...walked out..yuck!). The movie is about this woman who wants to do something meaningful. So she decides that she make every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking (520 recipes) in one year. All the while blogging about it. I thought about this and her task. What an ambitious task! Not only because some of those recipes are hard but think of all of the time, money, energy and sanity put into such a task. And then I think of my own ambitions and what I want to do. I have always wanted to do something amazing. I know that I still have time in my life....but I need a vision. I lack an idea, something that would compel me through everything to continue and succeed. I have thought about my schooling....13 years and something like 20,000 dollars would count. But I want it to me more of a creative idea. Who knows maybe soon I will think of something.

I have learned something new about myself in the last couple of days. I never thought I had a creative side. I was never a crafty person. I was never able to use colors or see the abstract in anything. I have recently found the joy...absolute bliss...is using a sewing machine. How strange this thought is! A sewing machine. Maybe its because I used to be so busy with life and now everything is busy...just in a different way. I am constantly planning and sewing in my head. I have found myself taking apart articles of clothes in my head and sewing them back together. Brian encourages this insanity. What a wonderful guy! When I can't figure it out...he always helps me through the thinking process.

So many thoughts....but finally I think the sleep will win.....good night.

2 comments:

Debbie Burns said...

You know, it's funny. Suzie and I were just discussing you last night, however our thoughts were so completely opposite than yours. I find you so incredibily creative and amazing. She showed me your artwork, we talked about your sewing, planting, and more. You are an incredible, strong woman. I think it is harder for us to see our own impact on the world, but Katie, never doubt you are making an impact. You are my courage and my strength. I want to pick up new things because of you. I can be myself and explore who that is because of you. I love that you try something new and if it doesn't turn out, you simply try again. You are AMAZING!!!! I won't even get into your mother abilities (because that will be a whole other post of amazingness). And remember... I never flatter, I only tell the truth. So keep exploring and trying new stuff. Be creative and pursue your desires. But never forget that in being YOU, you are doing something amazing. You are impacting the world around you. Your presence is being felt and remembered.

Suziepackham said...

I agree with Debbie..... You are a great example to all of us; there's no one in the world like my Doodles. I love you!