Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Big news? Possibly, but not official yet

I have pictures but have decided not to post them. We had an ultrasound yesterday, at 16 weeks. It was just a follow up ultrasound to ensure that my little ones are growing and doing well. I asked, in a pleading tone, if we could find out the genders. The tech said it was still early but she would try.

All three babies are measuring between 15weeks 4 days and 15 weeks 6 days. They said not to worry because they are still growing. The estimate that all three babies are about 5 ounces each. According to what I have read, babies at 16 weeks are closer to 3.5 ounces. Not to much to brag about but I am excited that they are thriving because this week I have had a hard time eating. I am not hungry at all during the day, but get hungry for dinner. I eat a regular size meal for dinner (I call this the "pregnancy gourge") and then feel sick for a couple of hours. Wake in the middle of the night starving for a breakfast bar or a peanut butter cracker sandwich thing and then I am not hungry. I have been trying to supplement with the smoothies and V8, but I can promise you I am not eating anywhere near the "4000 calorie diet" recommended for triplet mothers. So hearing that they are bigger than the average makes me happy. All heartbeats were strong, it is so amazing to watch your little ones heartbeating on the monitor. Amazing! We also were able to see, more definatively a membrane separating BABY A and B. This news made me so happy, because now we don't have to worry about babies getting tangled in each others umbilical cord. Yeah for something that is truly a blessing!

Then the tech took some time and tried to find genders for us. Baby C had something, but nothing giving us a for sure sign of a boy part. But we did see something, so for now Baby C is a boy. Brian thinks it looks like an umbilical cord, but who knows. Baby B clearly and without a doubt has a penis. She got a great shot of a "little button." Baby A we never saw anything and couldn't find anything either. Baby B kept photo-bombing the shot and wouldn't move his little head out of the way. But by educated deduction of Baby A and B being identical twins, Baby A is a boy as well. These results were not very encouraging for those of you who have wanted a girl this time (myself included) but nothing is set in stone until the end of April, when we have the official ultrasound for genders. I will say this though, I am ecstatic at my babies. I am so thrilled to be pregnant with triplets and to have them,seemingly, thriving and growing and being healthy babies. Boys/Girls, I don't care as much as I do for healthy, strong babies that require no NICU. That is my desire and goal. I am aware that it may be odd and not realistic to NOT have the babies spend ANY time in NICU but, at this point, MY GOAL is to do all I can to ensure that they go full term and come home with me from the hospital.


Current names for the boys.

Gavin Michael
Talon Jeffrey

We are in need of a third (if the ultrasound proves correct). We like the idea of keeping with our unofficial theme of how the first names end. First we have AidAN, then GavIN, the TalON. The third name we would like to end in "en", "un" or "yn." Any suggestions would be splendid. We are avoiding sounding alike names. For example, it would be easy to pick Braiden, Braidyn, Cayden, Jayden, Hayden, Madden, etc. But that would be a mouthful later on in life when I am yelling at my boys to clean their rooms. "Jayden, clean your room!" and Aidan replies "Mom I already did it!" Confusing! :)

1 comment:

kelli said...

Wow!! What an adventure for you!! A girl I worked with carried triplets to 36 weeks. All healthy, and all went home with mom! Good luck!