Friday, October 8, 2010

WOW! What a gap!

Okay so I just recently realized that time has flown by since I had added a post.

Know that we are alive and surviving.

This 3 week absence from blogging has been both relaxing and helpful. I enjoy reading blogs, I enjoy writing blogs but it was beginning to seem like a stretch. I was stretching to find things to write about and talk about. Plus I think I just got fed up. No one else was blogging that often, my craft blogs became repetitive and so I didn't want to do it either. I know that I shouldn't blog for comments or responses but it does help the writer. It helps because it motivates the writing process. All that being said. I don't know if I will post as often anymore. Life is getting crazy (and I generally like crazy) so blogging will return to being a hobby, not a chore.

But lets update the world on what has happened and why I haven't been blogging often.

Student loans came a knocking. I knew they would and wasn't surprised, but I was surprised by how fast we got into that spot of being okay financially to broke. I can handle broke I can. But it happened so fast that broke became icky. Especially when I learned that broke wasn't going to leave us as fast as I would like. So I thought about how grateful I was to be an at home mom and for surviving on one income we were doing awesome. But how could I add to our finances without compromising my wife and mother job. I was willing to get a job, but it would have to mesh well with the wife and mother gig. Have I mentioned how expensive day care can be? Not even worth most of the jobs out there. What a terrible situation for so many women and men!

I digress.

I thought of a bunch of options. An at home day care. Etsy shop to sell stuff. Going back to theater. Cleaning houses. Doing pre-made meals (think Dinners by Diana or My Girlfriends Kitchen). Everything seemed okay and doable but nothing said YES! So I took the matter up with Lord. I expressed my desires and wants, and then I told him to either guide me to a job or help me bring income into our home.

The next morning the phone rang. The day care that I substitute at needed my services. So I got ready and went into work. While there two different teachers came up to me asking if I was available on some days. Since then it has kind of snowballed. In September I worked 11 days. In October I am scheduled for 11 days. November I already have 2 days scheduled. Is that a lot? No. Is it enough? I don't know. But I am thankful to Heavenly Father for sending me all these jobs. Extra money is still money.

On one of these substituting gigs, I was told of a position that became available. I asked if I would be considered and the response was yes, do you want it? I went home and prayed. No that position is not for me. So I said no. But after I got my no answer I figured something else out. I will continue to substitute at the day care. The job is ideal, as a sub. On the days that I don't work and stay home I will be learning more about the sewing machine and quilting. I just figured out the my machine will do free motion quilting (I just need to figure it out).

So if you want to buy a quilt/table runner/ baby blanket/ etc. keep me in mind. I think I will start a blog/website to sell/ showcase my works. I am not ready to do that yet (I have very little inventory and am a slight prefectionist), but remember me.

Other things that have happened in three weeks.

We went to Lagoon with Brian's family. Aidan had a blast. He was super cranky at first and then he had a lot of fun. Matt made us all a little nervous because he got into a scuffle. Or I should say he saw a scuffle and got in the middle of it to help end it. That was entertaining. Normally I would not condone fighting and violence, but Matt was in the right for getting involved. An adult started attacking a young teenager (13?). Punched him in his gut, etc. And Matt was there to say back off. The adult ran off, probably shocked that someone would intervene. We called security, made sure the young teenager was okay. I can't believe people are so lame! If you are wound tight and looking for a fight to go to a place like Lagoon! Teenagers everywhere and ridiculous behavior abounds. Lagoon is a place of families, kids, teenagers and people who want to be chill and have fun. If you find yourself getting irritated with the heat, the crowds, the noise, etc. LEAVE! Don't be a jerk and blow up on a child! Enough of my soap box.

We winterized our yard. Just in time for torrential down pour of rain and hail. Literally just in time. I think Brian finished mowing and Aidan and I had everything in the garage as it started. Two minutes before the deadline. Amazing!

I have been experiencing some heavy emotions lately. I hate when my heart hurts. I hate when it hurts for understanding more than a physical hurt (hope that makes sense). I was unable to catch any of conference last weekend. And sense then my heart and mind have been saddened by all the negativity brought about since then. I thought I was stronger and wiser than what I am feeling right now, apparently I was wrong. I have been taking my tears and confusion to the Lord. I hope for understanding soon. Nothing makes me more scared than not knowing something to obvious to everyone else (or is it so obvious?). Everyone be patient with me as I try to figure out my steadfast position. I had a position. But of late it is wobbly, I hate wobbly.

I bottled my first batch of salsa. I got a recipe from Brian's Aunt Dixie. Everyone seems to love it. I plan on doing more of that salsa (tweaked of course!). I had fun and it really does taste yummy! Next on my canning agenda is homemade pasta sauce. Got any good recipes? Send them my way.

I have actually become a fan of prime time television. I went so long without watching television that it was weird to get back into it. But here is our television viewing line up for this fall.

Sunday: All American Handyman, Next Iron Chef,
Monday: Chuck, House, Lie to Me
Tuesday: No Ordinary Family, Melissa and Joey
Wednesday: Modern Family, The Defenders
Thursday: Big Bang Theory


That is all. Later.

2 comments:

Steven and Megan said...

Glad to hear you guys are alive :) A lot has been going on! I am glad you can work as a sub at the daycare. I can't believe the Lagoon story!! Some people can be so rude. We should hang out soon!

Debbie Burns said...

Sorry I haven't been posting comments! How un-friendly of me as I also LOVE comments. Like you said, it keeps the writing going.

I'm glad you've found good things in subbing! And that the Lord is taking care of you (not that I doubted, but I like to know He's passing good things onto my friends). Whatever wobbly is, no worries. I love you no matter what... wobbles and all. Nothing could change that or effect my opinion of you. Simply, YOU ROCK!

Lots of love. Me